NC's Brunswick Islands Trivia Answers
1. How many beaches make up NC’s Brunswick Islands? Bonus: Can you name them all? There are six beaches on our barrier islands: Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach, Oak Island, Caswell Beach, and Bald Head Island.
2. What’s the name of the oldest standing lighthouse in North Carolina? Old Baldy is the state’s oldest standing lighthouse. It’s more than 200 years old and stands tall on Bald Head Island.
3. What’s the name of the newest of the North Carolina lighthouses? Bonus: How many steps are there to climb to get to the observation deck? Oak Island Lighthouse is the newest lighthouse in the state. It stands just over 150 feet tall, and instead of a spiral staircase, a series of ships ladders with a total of 131 steps lead to the gallery level.
4. Where can you find the treasured Kindred Spirit Mailbox, and what will you find inside? The Kindred Spirit Mailbox can be found on Bird Island, about a mile from the last public access point on the west end of Sunset Beach. Inside you’ll find notebooks filled with messages visitors have left over time, until they are collected for safekeeping.
5. Which coastal town is located where the Atlantic Ocean, Cape Fear River and Intracoastal Waterway all converge? Southport, NC holds this distinction. Visitors can enjoy the scenic area from Waterfront Park or the many waterfront restaurants in “American’s Happiest Seaside Town.”
6. Ocean Isle Beach is home to a special festival that celebrates what shelled sea creatures? Bonus: What months of the year are said to be prime “season” for this seafood treat?
Oysters are the star of the show during the annual NC Oyster Festival in Ocean Isle Beach. It’s been said that oysters are best for eating during months with “R” in their name: September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April.
7. What popular Nicholas Sparks book-turned-movie was filmed in historic Southport, NC, at landmarks including the Old American Fish Company and Ports of Call? Safe Haven was filmed in these two locations as well as many others throughout Southport, as were several other Nicholas Sparks favorites.
8. Name the extraordinary and monolithic creature that travels great distances to lay its eggs on the shores of NC’s Brunswick Islands’ beaches from May to August each year.
The majestic loggerhead sea turtle makes its way to the shores of the Brunswick Islands beaches to lay its eggs. Many conservation practices are in place to protect the nests and hatchlings that will make their way to the ocean from July to October.