Love fishing but not the high seas? The five public ocean fishing piers on NC's Brunswick Islands are your kind of place. You'll always find friendly residents and visitors willing to dispense advice on what's biting and how to fish for them. Plus, all piers offer handicapped access as well as food, bait, tackle and rentals.
There are also several local piers for fishing in the Intracoastal Waterway and the creeks and rivers throughout the Brunswick Islands. So whether it's jutting out into the Atlantic, or near the banks of the Brunswick River, you'll find you're never far from a great place to cast a line.
Our five ocean fishing piers are of varying lengths, up to 900 feet, extending out into the ocean blue. They include:
- Holden Beach Pier – Recently purchased by the Town of Holden Beach, plans are underway to upgrade the pier and other onsite public facilities such as concessions and beach access.
- Oak Island Pier – Rebuilt in 2019, this pier is complete with a pier house with a bait and tackle store, restaurant and coffee shop.
- Ocean Crest Pier – Also located on Oak Island, Ocean Crest pier has a tackle shop and an adjacent restaurant.
- Ocean Isle Beach Pier – Here you have the works: rentals, live bait, tackle, rods … arcade and ice cream! An Ocean Isle family favorite.
- Sunset Beach Pier – A 900-foot stretch into ocean, this pier has a snack bar, tackle shop and is fully handicap accessible with free scooter chairs.
Fishing passes vary from pier to pier and may include daily, multi-day and full-season permits. Since the piers are under authority of individual towns, local pier regulations may also vary.