Nicholas Sparks has made a name for North Carolina as a place to fall in love. Whether it's with a significant other, or one of his novels or films, you are destined for romance in the Brunswick Islands. Come to discover the inspiration behind Nicholas Sparks' masterpieces.
Sparks has stated that setting is a major aspect of his work, both in terms of natural and cultural environments and atmosphere. Every novel he has written since The Notebook has been set in North Carolina. He has claimed that this charming southern state is the inspiration behind his passionate novels.
Named one of USA Today’s “Top 20 Books of the Fall,” Sparks’ latest novel, Every Breath, set in Sunset Beach, North Carolina, explores the whirlwind love story between North Carolinian, Hope Anderson and Zimbabwean safari guide, Tru Walls, through the decades, continents and fate that follow a chance meeting at Sunset Beach.
Every Breath was inspired by Sparks' fascination with a Brunswick Islands' hidden treasure, the Kindred Spirit Mailbox. Sparks, like many others, visited Sunset Beach seeking inspiration from this local landmark. Located near the dunes on Bird Island, about a mile from the nearest public beach access point, lies the Kindred Spirit Mailbox. Planted by a Sunset Beach couple over 30 years ago, the mailbox, filled with journals and pens, encourages thousands of visitors each year to share their story with the universe. Readers of his new novel will come to find that this peculiar mailbox is at the center of the story line in Every Breath.
Sparks fanatics can enjoy a Safe Haven of their own by taking a Walk to Remember to the Kindred Spirit Mailbox and other iconic landmarks in the Brunswick Islands that were made famous by Sparks’ work.
Check out our list of some of the can’t miss stops on the Nicholas Sparks Tour of the Brunswick Islands:
Brunswick Islands, North Carolina:
With 45+ miles of pristine beaches and charming coastal communities it is easy to see why a few of Sparks' novels have been set and/or filmed in the Brunswick Islands. Sunset Beach, Southport, Oak Island and Caswell Beach have served as the backdrop for Every Breath (2018), Safe Haven (2010), A Walk To Remember (1999) and The Longest Ride (2013).
Sunset Beach, Brunswick Islands: Featured in Every Breath.
- Send a message at the Kindred Spirit Mailbox, the central location in the novel and the destination that Nicholas Sparks’ character in the novel finds the manila envelope detailing the “The Most Amazing Story Ever” of Tru Wallace and Hope Anderson’s romance.
- Visit the charming town of Sunset Beach where Hope Anderson goes to spend time at her family’s cottage.
Southport, Brunswick Islands: Featured in the film adaptation of A Walk To Remember and in the novel and film adaptation of Safe Haven.
Featured in A Walk to Remember:
- Stop by the beautiful church where Jamie Sullivan’s dad was a pastor.
- Stargaze at the Old Smithville Burying Ground where Landon Carter named a star after Jamie.
- Watch the sunset over the water at the Riverwalk Gazebo where Jamie and Landon shared a kiss.
Featured in Safe Haven:
- Have a drink on the dock at Old American Fish Co restaurant, which transformed into Ivan’s Fish Shack where Katie Feldman worked as a waitress.
- Walk through Downtown Southport to see some of the storefronts and restaurants that made their way into the film as well as housed the crew.
- While you may not be able to see Ryan's Port Market, you can still see some of its remains and other Safe Haven memorabilia at the Fort Johnston- Southport Museum and Visitors Center. While you are there be sure to pick up a brochure of all of the Safe Haven film locations (also found online).
- Explore West Moore and Bay Street where the dramatic Fourth of July Festival was recreated in the Fall in order to film this iconic scene.
- Fans will recognize the West Brunswick Street house where Alex Wheatley lived with his children in the film.
- Enjoy a meal at Ports of Call restaurant—where Katie and Alex shared their first romantic dinner.
- See where Alex kept his boat at the Southport Marina.
Oak Island, Brunswick Islands: Featured in the film adaptation of Safe Haven.
- Grab a bite at Wildlife Restaurant & Grill where Katie and Alex escaped the rain and shared a dance, that is until the police interrupted.
Caswell Beach, Brunswick Islands: Featured in the film adaptation of The Longest Ride.
- Visit the delightful seaside town of Caswell Beach where Ruth’s family spent the summer.
Looking for other things to do while on your Nicholas Sparks trip? Want to discover other movies that were filmed in the Brunswick Islands? Feeling a little peckish along your journey? Check out more information about the Brunswick Islands at ncbrunswick.com.