Love fishing but not the high seas? The five public ocean fishing piers on NC's Brunswick Islands are your kind of place. You'll always find friendly residents and visitors willing to dispense advice on what's biting and how to fish for them. Plus, all piers offer handicapped access as well as food, bait, tackle and rentals.
There are also several local piers for fishing in the Intracoastal Waterway and the creeks and rivers throughout the Brunswick Islands. So whether it's jutting out into the Atlantic, or near the banks of the Brunswick River, you'll find you're never far from a great place to cast a line.
Our five ocean fishing piers are of varying lengths, some nearly 1,000 feet in length, extending out into the ocean blue. They include:
- Holden Beach Pier – A family favorite complete with a grill, snack counter and even a campground.
- Oak Island Pier – The Oak Island Pier is currently closed for reconstruction with plans to reopen in early 2018.
- Ocean Crest Pier – Also located on Oak Island, this pier has a community live bait tank and on-site weather station.
- Ocean Isle Pier – Here you have the works: rentals, live bait, tackle, rods … and ice cream! An Ocean Isle family favorite.
- Sunset Beach Pier – A 900-foot stretch into ocean, this one has a snack bar with breakfast, a game room and even an ATM.
Fishing passes vary from pier to pier and may include daily, multi-day and full-season permits. Since the piers are under authority of individual towns, local pier regulations may also vary.